&ieSteinvikholm fortress ruin lies in Stjørdal Municipality in Nord-Trøndelag County. You will find a map showing all of Fortidsminneforeningen's properties in the region here.
The fortress was begun in 1525 by Olav Engelbrektsson, the Archbishop of Nidaros (Trondheim) and Primate of Norway, and was used by him as a regular refuge in the dramatic years when he was in opposition to king Christian III.
Many of the treasures of Trondheim Cathedral, including the reliquary of St. Olav, the country's patron saint, were removed to Steinvikholm in this period.
After the victory of the Reformation in 1537 and up to 1575 it was used as the governor's residence, but was then abandoned; the local population helped themselves to the stone.
Fortidsminneforeningen bought the fortress in 1894, and it was excavated and conserved up to 1900, after which it has remained unchanged until the present day.
Every August a historically-inspired opera is performed in the ruins.
Open every day 1 July to 16 August, 11-17. Tickets NOK 50/20. Guided tours can be arranged all year around. Contact Karl Morten Steinvik, phone + 47 917 00 175.
All content © Fortidsminneforeningen.